1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice

Welcome To SNBForums

SNBForums is a community for anyone who wants to learn about or discuss the latest in wireless routers, network storage and the ins and outs of building and maintaining a small network.

If you'd like to post a question, simply register and have at it!

While you're at it, please check out SmallNetBuilder for product reviews and our famous Router Charts, Ranker and plenty more!

AX88U /jffs at 99%

Discussion in 'Asuswrt-Merlin' started by RattyMan, Jan 14, 2020.

Tags:
  1. RattyMan

RattyMan New Around Here

Coming across a problem, which I'm starting to think might be a dead unit.
    Had this unit for about a week, set up very simply with no scripts but on Merlin 384.14.
    I had issues below, though might be leftover something so have been through a full Nuclear Reset but still not solved.
    The setup is the following:
    • Change from default IP's to 192.168.10.0/24 range
    • Setup DHCP (192.168.10.100-200 range)
    • Don't have QoS etc. running, or any other standard services
    • I reserve around 20 addresses on my network and change the names for devices connecting (around 50 devices)
    • Enabled SSH to see what's happening
    • I set up the users in the mobile app, as I would normally use this control my son's time online, and remove adult content.
    That's about it!!
    Within a day my /jffs is at 87% and when it hits 99% all users are removed, all names removed after a reboot.

[UPDATE] - the file that seems to be added constantly, and only one I can find:
    Code:
    [email protected]:/jffs/usericon# ls -lsh
     82708 -rw-rw-rw-    1 TheDarkL root       80.8M Jan 14 13:25 841b5e47ac97.ico

Does anyone have any ideas?

Last edited: Jan 14, 2020
  2. ColinTaylor

ColinTaylor Part of the Furniture

This is probably why your icon file is so huge. Just don't give devices custom names.

3. RattyMan

RattyMan New Around Here

That doesn't make sense, changing the text names for devices, I'm not adding icons at all...and on my previous AC88U this never happened.
    Plus to add, I add these all upfront from a file, no custom icons:
    Code:
    nvram set dhcp_staticlist="$(cat dhcp_staticlist)"
    nvram set custom_clientlist="$(cat custom_clientlist)"
    so this should show full size at that point, which it doesn't and only shows around 3% used.

It grows after this within a day.

Sent from my GM1913 using Tapatalk

4. ColinTaylor

ColinTaylor Part of the Furniture

OK, I assumed you were adding custom icons. Sounds like a bug then. Try going back to the previous firmware.

5. htismaqe

htismaqe Very Senior Member

It's definitely not caused by device customization, at least not generally. I have 64 DHCP reservations, all of which have both custom names and custom icons. I'm using 4.32MB 0f 63MB available. He's got something wonky going on. @RattyMan if there's anything I can do to help out, let me know. I just got an RT-AX88U...

no_name, RattyMan, Hawk and 1 other person like this.
  6. RattyMan

RattyMan New Around Here

Thanks, both, I'm going to swap back to the AC88U and run some more tests but expect it might be hardware replace.

[UPDATE]
    I rolled back on the AX88U to the 384.13 firmware - and so far so good! No growth in /jffs and I have all the clients names and reserved IP's in place. Obviously, time to let it settle and see how this plays out.

htismaqe likes this.
  7. L&LD

L&LD Part of the Furniture

@RattyMan I would be testing the RMerlin 384.15 Alpha (Jan 1) firmware instead. :)

Flash 384.15, reset to factory defaults including checking the 'Initialize all settings...' button, do a quick and dirty Wizard setup and then reflash the same firmware again. Once more, reset to factory defaults via the GUI and check the 'Initialize all settings...' button also.

Now, don't import your saved list, rather, copy/paste what you need to this fully reset and updated router and keep us posted of what is happening. :)

royarcher, htismaqe and RattyMan like this.
  8. RattyMan

RattyMan New Around Here

Done - actually so far so good! The same thing is not happening. Nothing appearing in the usericon directory, and jffs is at a static 3%. I will monitor and report back...

htismaqe and L&LD like this.
  9. RattyMan

RattyMan New Around Here

So 2 days in, and it's just started happening again and on the Alpha firmware.
    So looking at the jffs:
    Looking at file sizes:
    And testing by adding a statis IP, and after applying nothing sticks....
    Then after a reboot, all gone:
    upload_2020-1-16_10-9-36.png

Attached Files:

10. htismaqe

htismaqe Very Senior Member

So that one icon file is the issue. Don't know if it helps but I looked at mine and all I have in /usericon is a bunch of .log files. As I mentioned before, I have custom icons for all of my devices but there are no .ico files in /usericon like you have.

11. xulian

xulian Regular Contributor

looks a bit weird this... I've testing alpha for weeks also on an ax-88u and never got anything like this. What FS you have there? ext4? also, which is its volume size?

12. RattyMan

RattyMan New Around Here

Not sure what you mean around FS? I've not added any volumes for storage, this is straight as per install of the firmware.

Sent from my GM1913 using Tapatalk

13. xulian

xulian Regular Contributor

Sorry misunderstood your configuration, in my case my router has one attached storage, not the same configuration as yours.

14. kipweb

kipweb New Around Here

Hi RattyMan
    Did you solve your problem. I am experiencing the exact same thing on a RT-AC86U running 384.14. I have done a factory reset etc and upload 384.14.2 and I am still experience the .ico increasing in size until the jffs partition is almost full.

15. kipweb

kipweb New Around Here

I formatted the JFFS partition and all is good now.