1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice

Welcome To SNBForums

SNBForums is a community for anyone who wants to learn about or discuss the latest in wireless routers, network storage and the ins and outs of building and maintaining a small network.

If you'd like to post a question, simply register and have at it!

While you're at it, please check out SmallNetBuilder for product reviews and our famous Router Charts, Ranker and plenty more!

Featured Does OFDMA Really Work? Part 2

Discussion in 'Wireless Article Discussions' started by thiggins, May 27, 2020.

1. thiggins

thiggins Mr. Easy Staff Member

Last edited: May 27, 2020
    lucluke, cybrnook, Gar and 6 others like this.
  2. JohnB_123

JohnB_123 Regular Contributor

Excellent piece @thiggins

So if I read this correctly, you've proven that cheap AX/Wifi6 routers like the AX-58U and the RAX15 aren't discernible--or even inferior-- to 4+ year old AC/Wifi5 routers like the R7800?

3. Razor512

Razor512 Senior Member

It seems like in general all of the newer standards produced lower latency than the R7800, though the RAX15 ended up producing significantly worse results when OFDMA was enabled.

While it is nearly impossible too scientifically test, I wonder if OFDMA will have any improvements in normally congested environments, e.g., an urban area where it is normal to see 100+ access points in range and no one seems willing to use Ethernet, even when they have a desktop PC in the same room as their router. Over time as more people move to OFDMA, will WiFi become less bad in those areas?

4. thiggins

No. All AX routers had lower latency than the two AC routers tested. But the lower latencies were not due to OFDMA.

AX routers can provide other advantages over AC routers, especially for 2.4 GHz AX devices. But OFDMA isn't one of the advantages.

mjc775 and JohnB_123 like this.
  5. thiggins

It's possible that OFDMA may some day evolve to provide some of its touted advantages. But I think it will take years, as it did with MU-MIMO.

Makaveli, JohnB_123 and avtella like this.
  6. JohnB_123

JohnB_123 Regular Contributor

Very helpful, thanks Tim.

Since I've put ethernet to all my stationary devices, the only AX devices we have are mobile - and I haven't seen a discernible difference with our RT-AX88U vs. our Netgear AC router whatsoever.

7. digital10

digital10 Regular Contributor

I thought there is an article here saying MUMIMO didnt show any real benefits and sometimes will give worse performance

8. thiggins

Here is the link
    https://www.smallnetbuilder.com/wireless/wireless-features/33100-why-you-don-t-need-mu-mimo

Three years later, I'm told by colleagues at octoScope that MU-MIMO can provide total throughput gain. I have not verified this myself. But MU-MIMO testing will be incorporated into the upcoming new Wi-Fi test suite.

L&LD likes this.