1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice

Welcome To SNBForums

SNBForums is a community for anyone who wants to learn about or discuss the latest in wireless routers, network storage and the ins and outs of building and maintaining a small network.

If you'd like to post a question, simply register and have at it!

While you're at it, please check out SmallNetBuilder for product reviews and our famous Router Charts, Ranker and plenty more!

Help me set up my network (ax92u - 2xac66u B1)

Discussion in 'ASUS AC Routers & Adapters' started by TonyKO, Dec 10, 2019.

1. TonyKO

TonyKO New Around Here

I have been pretty happy with my setup consisting of ac66u b1 main router on merlins frimware and another ac66u b1 on dd-wrt in client mode to extend wifi range. For a while I have been thinking of upgrading the main to get better vpn performance and maybe run adblock, torrent and samba server in addition.

Black friday rolls up and on impulse I pick up the ax92u thinking it will suit me well. I hook it up and set up openvpn client to check the performance. I get around 100mbits which is a good improvement so I am happy so far. Then i look for the settings to set up conditions for the vpn client and cant find them. Ok, I realize stock asus firmware does not have the functionality i need so i go to download merlin. Ooops, no merlin support for this router. This means I can not use the ax92u as my main router as I need to be able to selectively route through the vpn.

I could return the ax92u, but I like the vpn performance and got such a good price on it that I would prefer to keep it and use it as a vpn server and client. How can I set this up the best way?