Looking for replacement of power hungry SAN

ddaenen1

I am running FreeNAS on a Supermicro X8SIL-F server with Xeon L3426 CPU and 32 GB ECC RAM connected through a HBA card to a Dell MD1000 with 15 2TB 3.5" SAS drives.

The setup runs really well and extremely stable and functions predominantly as 9Tb Plex-server and a 7 Tb general purpose share.

My issue is that the MD1000 is extremely power hungry with its 2 x 488W redundant PSU's and very loud fans. I didn't really consider this as i have PV panels and to that point, the PV configuration was generating more power than we consumed in the household and since my server rack is in the basement, fan noise was not a concern. Also, i don't really need that much storage space. My current library currently occupies less than 5% of the available storage capacity.

Bottom line, i am looking for a less power hungry solution. I would like to keep the Supermicro with FreeNAS and the HBA but replace the MD1000 with a solution that is more power consumption friendly and i would settle for anything that could provide a storage capacity of 4-6Tb as long as it is rack mountable but i do have a depth limit of about 50cm.

Any recommendations are much appreciated.

coxhaus

Part of the Furniture
You can switch to a couple of big hard rives but it will not perform as well plus you would be on a shared network if you switched to a NAS. You have enterprise equipment and you want to down grade to "consumer equipment" so to speak. You could buy a bigger server case and mount big drives in it and build your own NAS or server. I have a rack full of 3U Supermicro server cases. I just change motherboards. This is all past tense as I am old and I have turned off my server rack but I used those Supermicro server cases for years. I even bought a hot swap backplane for a 8 drive RAID which of course was noisy and power hungry with all those drives.

If you want the same kind of performance you could build a NAS with memory SSD drives and add the NAS and server to a couple 10 gig ports on a L3 switch something like one of the Cisco small business layer 3 switches like a Cisco SG350X-24 or a SG250X-24. Without layer 3 switching access to data it will be slow but could be done in layer 2. The way I would set it up is to build a network for the server and NAS at 10 gig. I would setup L3 switching for that network. The server and NAS will have 10 gig layer 2 access to the NAS and 1 gig clients can be wire speed switched using L3 layer 3 to the NAS network. This will stop the 1 gig ports from slowing down the 10 gig network.

There are a lot of choices and options. You need to pick one.

Last edited:

ddaenen1

Well, it is only the MD1000 that is very power hungry so i was investigating what i could replace it with but so far, i haven't come up with many alternatives. It appears there are very few storage solutions that i could hook up to the Supermicro's HBA card with fewer drives and lower power consumption without compromising the stability and performance i currently have.

sfx2000

Part of the Furniture
Any recommendations are much appreciated.
Not to push you off the forum - but I do suggest another community that is focused on HomeLabs and Enterprise Level HW...

https://forums.servethehome.com/index.php

STH is a great resource - Like Tim Higgins here on SNB, Pat Kennedy has built a community over on STH that is a good fit for this question.

BTW - the MD1000 is a very nice filer/storage box, but as some have mentioned - it's dimensioned towards a certain market, and there, the power needs are a bit different - the smart forum members over on STH might be helpful if you want to keep the MD1000 in your rack.

coxhaus

Part of the Furniture
It seems your controller card for MD1000 is 6 gig/second so I would think moving to a 10 gig LAN solution would match or better what you currently have.

ddaenen1

Not to push you off the forum - but I do suggest another community that is focused on HomeLabs and Enterprise Level HW...

https://forums.servethehome.com/index.php

STH is a great resource - Like Tim Higgins here on SNB, Pat Kennedy has built a community over on STH that is a good fit for this question.

BTW - the MD1000 is a very nice filer/storage box, but as some have mentioned - it's dimensioned towards a certain market, and there, the power needs are a bit different - the smart forum members over on STH might be helpful if you want to keep the MD1000 in your rack.
Thanks for the tip. I will have a look there.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!