1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice

Welcome To SNBForums

SNBForums is a community for anyone who wants to learn about or discuss the latest in wireless routers, network storage and the ins and outs of building and maintaining a small network.

If you'd like to post a question, simply register and have at it!

While you're at it, please check out SmallNetBuilder for product reviews and our famous Router Charts, Ranker and plenty more!

Looking to ditch FreeNAS

Discussion in 'General NAS Discussion' started by gwopman, Sep 10, 2019.

1. gwopman

gwopman Occasional Visitor

FreeNAS is an excellent project, don't get me wrong, but far too commercially / professionally oriented for what i actually need at home. Not being able to change pools after creation etc gets to be painful at times. I've been looking into openmediaserver but realize i have absolutely zero experience with mdadm and would like to get to know that or anything else that may be good for a home file server. This is going in a non crucial home file server. I have been running a FreeNAS box since 2011 in various capacities and think its time to change. Thank all in advance.

2. netware5

netware5 Senior Member

You may try XigmaNAS (former Nas4Free). It has faster and simpler Web Gui then FreeNAS, has lower hardware requirements and is forked from the original FreeNAS before it got commercialized. So it would be easy for you to migrate as you have experience with FreeNAS. I am using XigmaNAS since February 2017 and I am very happy with it. Also the XigmaNAS community and forum are much more friendly to newbies than the FreeNAS. The XigmaNAS is regularly updated even it usually implements the upstream FreeBSD updates faster than FreeNAS. See the links below:

https://www.xigmanas.com/
    https://www.xigmanas.com/forums//index.php

taffeys likes this.
  3. ARAMP1

ARAMP1 Occasional Visitor

Ever since 11.2, it seems like things have gotten more difficult (though I do love the new GUI). I ended up going to unRAID. but, I may have to check this out too.