1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice

Welcome To SNBForums

SNBForums is a community for anyone who wants to learn about or discuss the latest in wireless routers, network storage and the ins and outs of building and maintaining a small network.

If you'd like to post a question, simply register and have at it!

While you're at it, please check out SmallNetBuilder for product reviews and our famous Router Charts, Ranker and plenty more!

Support for RP-XXX Access points?

Discussion in 'Asuswrt-Merlin' started by jptech, Aug 23, 2019.

1. jptech

jptech New Around Here

Will support come for the Asus RP devices which are just APs, Repeaters, Media bridges?

I'd like to get one to use the AiMesh feature, but I'd prefer it be a merlin base.

2. skeal

skeal Part of the Furniture

For aimesh @RMerlin advises to keep the node at stock firmware for convenience of updating the firmware.

3. Equinox

Equinox Occasional Visitor

Same question here.
    I set my RP-AC68U as a media bridge. The latest firmware is from June 2018. No update since then. I hope that Asus is still supporting it.

4. RMerlin

RMerlin Super Moderator

There's very little point in running my firmware on an AiMesh node. Ultimately, the important portion is the wifi bit, and that part is closed source, so it will be identical to the stock firmware. And if Asus stops issuing updates, then it means I also have to stop, due to lack of compatible binary components.

Vexira likes this.
  5. Vexira

Vexira Very Senior Member

Have doubts about Asus support, I personally consider it abandoned, I had two units loaded with defective firmware and it was a pain to get fixed one did the other is still not working correctly.