Unlocking AsusWRT USB over IP server

• ATTENTION! As of November 1, 2020, you are not able to reply to threads 6 months after the thread is opened if there are more than 500 posts in the thread.
    Threads will not be locked, so posts may still be edited by their authors.
    Just start a new thread on the topic to post if you get an error message when trying to reply to a thread.

berga_d

New Around Here
Hi, I've found that AsusWRT firmware includes USB/IP support through the “u2ec” daemon in /usr/sbin/.

This is an USB over IP SDK from Eltima that should support every USB device.
http://www.eltima.com/products/usb-over-network-technology/

However it seems to have been locked down to specific usb classes like printers in router firmware.

Is there any modder interested in working on this feature?

I think a lot of users will be fascinated for the many uses of a remote usb server, from audio streaming (playing/recording), video camera surveillance, IR blasters, and many others. USB Servers often cost around 40-60$.

berga_d

New Around Here
UPDATE
Probably the only necessary patch is against "src/router/u2ec/testusb.c".
The printer test in "testusb()" must be removed, and then usb redirection should be enabled with "echo a > /var/u2ec_fifo".

Last edited:

ColinTaylor

Part of the Furniture
I know this is old, but, do you have the u2ec source code? If so, how'd you get it?
The source code is available in the "Driver & Tools > Others" category for your particular model on the the Asus website.

dropthrow

New Around Here
The source code is available in the "Driver & Tools > Others" category for your particular model on the the Asus website.
Not for u2ec. I've pulled the GPL release for several models and they only contain the stripped u2ec binary. No source.

ColinTaylor

Part of the Furniture
I see. It looks like the OP was referencing this build: