1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice

Welcome To SNBForums

SNBForums is a community for anyone who wants to learn about or discuss the latest in wireless routers, network storage and the ins and outs of building and maintaining a small network.

If you'd like to post a question, simply register and have at it!

While you're at it, please check out SmallNetBuilder for product reviews and our famous Router Charts, Ranker and plenty more!

WAN PORT Speeds

Discussion in 'Asuswrt-Merlin' started by trameltanz, Dec 2, 2019.

1. trameltanz

trameltanz New Around Here

I have an Asus RT-AC88U router with a Netgear CM1150V cable modem.

The Router is running 384.13 Merlin - I am concerned only with WIRED connections at this time. All devices have their latest OS and Driver updates.

I am paying for 500+ download with Comcast/xFinity

When my PC is connected (wired) to the modem speed tests show 500+mb/s download. When the PC is connected to the router's LAN I am getting 300mb/s download.

All devices, phones, tablets, PCs, wired, wireless, etc...all behave the same way as far as download speed.

I did some google-ing and found out that the WAN port in the AC88U usually pegs out above 800mb/s.

Right now I am using cat5e cables for everything.

I have tried both Asus stock firmware and Merlin's and they both behave exactly the same.

I have turned off AiProtection, QoS, traffic analyzer, and NAT Acceleration.

Asus GUI says that the WAN port is connected 1GB and all LAN ports are connected 1GB.

1. Will a Cat6/7 patch cable improve performance from the WAN port on the router to the Uplink on the Cable Modem?

2. Is there a limitation in the firmware for the WAN port in the Router?

3. Am I missing any configs for the Asus Router?

Any help is appreciated! Thank you!

2. ColinTaylor

ColinTaylor Part of the Furniture

NAT Acceleration needs to be active otherwise you will see those speeds.

3. trameltanz

trameltanz New Around Here

I have tried NAT Acceleration both ON and OFF

This setting has never made a difference in speed....until now!

Well, sure as there is ice in my freezer I am not getting about 450mb/s down

ColinTaylor likes this.
  4. Val D.

Val D. Very Senior Member

Because you had AiProtection, QoS, Traffic Analyzer, etc. ON before. All of them require CPU traffic processing.