Wifi drops during Google Meet calls

• ATTENTION! As of November 1, 2020, you are not able to reply to threads 6 months after the thread is opened if there are more than 500 posts in the thread.
    Threads will not be locked, so posts may still be edited by their authors.
    Just start a new thread on the topic to post if you get an error message when trying to reply to a thread.

lindros2

Regular Contributor
Friends don't let friends use google meet - seriously...
You win the internet. GMeet is crap.
FWIW - I usually dial in on my phone, rather than using the VoIP connection with the PC - voice quality is better, latency is lower (e.g. talking over other people)
I'm the opposite. The latency on my fiber connection (mind you, my setup of Asus AX11000 > AC5300 > interwebs is risky...) is pretty low (meaning = good). I'm seeing 3ms to Frontier, and 23ms cross-country.
But, yes, for colleagues ... it's like I'm in a sci-fi movie where they break up often.
Those on phone calls with AirPods look like aliens or men with earrings...

sfx2000

Part of the Furniture
sfx2000 I thought we were running the same Cisco WAP581 wireless APs. Have you changed?
WAP581's are on the shelf temporarily while I'm beta testing some WiFi 6E gear (NDA, but they're AP's, not all in one's)

Zoom, GTM, Webex - GTM, for long time users, they recently updated the UI, which has good and bad points - but I've rarely had drops.

ATT's VoLTE is very good out here in the San Diego area, so that's why I dial in, rather than use application VoIP.

Cox HSI for consumer lines with the various meeting apps, depends on the time of day, but they're making improvements and planning upgrades, but I've had several extended outages recently

sfx2000

Part of the Furniture
Those on phone calls with AirPods look like aliens or men with earrings...
LOL... a lot of folks here know I'm a bit Apple centric, but I don't have AirPods (they're nice, not for me), and I don't have the Apple Watch.

Because many of the teams I work with are global in nature, we learned pretty quick that Video Bridges are a good way to have a bad experience, so mostly audio and conference host usually shares a screen with the meeting notes.

Yo_2T

Occasional Visitor
LOL... a lot of folks here know I'm a bit Apple centric, but I don't have AirPods (they're nice, not for me), and I don't have the Apple Watch.

Because many of the teams I work with are global in nature, we learned pretty quick that Video Bridges are a good way to have a bad experience, so mostly audio and conference host usually shares a screen with the meeting notes.
Maybe this is why my team has had a solid experience with Google Meet. We only do voice and share screens. I honestly like its implementation (work in browser, no software installation, easy to share with clients) over Zoom or other video conferencing solutions.